Thursday, January 17, 2013

One of a Kind: Wonders of Biodiversity

We are experimenting with cauliflower but since it died, we are no longer doing so. It was thriving, but the lack of water killed it. The parent plants are unknown since they came from a pouch but I can assume they were unhappy with our doings. They will not have offspring but if they did they would be growing outside healthy without Arizona, salt water, or sugar water. They would be green, obviously, and have offspring of there own, but since I did not see my plant in its glory, I can not make more assumptions. They would acquire these traits by going through meiosis and could be unique by crossing over and independent assortment. After meiosis occurring multiple times they would be nearly unrecognizable from each other. Just like our classmates' plants, our plant had been through meiosis a lot and their parents produced unique offspring. Even though our plants originated from a single Brassica oleracea, they have changed extremely since then creating all these plant species.

No comments:

Post a Comment